Saturday, October 10, 2009

Instead of Going Through the Motions

I'm not exactly sure how so much time has passed since I last posted, but we've been plugging along....homeschooling every day (except Sat. and Sun.), trying to save money doing thrifty shopping (which requires research and work), enjoying this awesome weather, and I must say, doing LITTLE cleaning. I shared with our small Tuesday morning prayer group that meets at 6am, I have tried to maintain that delicate balance between maintaining an orderly/clean home (we all know God is a God of order) and trying to enjoy each day to the fullest without letting everything go to pot.

Our children are so young, and they won't be this way forever. Lately, I have tried so hard to not just "go through the motions" in rearing our children. We've been praying harder than ever about everything in our lives, reading fun books, playing outside every day, baking, trying to do "fall" decorating, and just generally enjoying each day to the fullest. I guess you could say I have had a life altering event in my life (although I'm sure much more life altering for those directly involved) in the daily struggles my friend Catherine has with the news of battling cancer throughout her body. She's 35 with a 6 month old daughter and a 3 year old son. WOW. Life is so precious, such a treasure. How can we NOT take each breath captive for the Glory of God? Why would we want to just go through the motions? Why does it take something so horrible for me to see this and claim what is mine and has been mine?

I've just gotten to the point this week that the toilet just H.A.D. to be cleaned. There was no way around the ickiness (is that a word?). So between Thurs. afternoon and Friday morning, I have gotten word from the Lord (!!) that now is the time to clean so that I do not cross over and make our lives unbalanced. Boy, it's amazing how much better I feel. Now, we didn't play outside much those two days, but when it's 85 degrees outside plus humidity, who really wants to? Besides, Daddy and Granddaddy have taken up the slack and allowed me time to actually MOP the kitchen floor without little feet scurrying over it while wet. Ask me how long it stayed spotless and I think you know the answer. Just impossible to keep a clean floor with 3 meals a day and 3 snacks a day. And know what?? This too shall pass, but the memories made with my babies are for a lifetime!

No comments: