Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Saga Continues


The attack of the mice is still on. Yesterday (Tuesday) I found several...SEVERAL droppings in our bedroom, my closet, Jason's closet, the living room, and all over Emma Grace's room that proved the mice were still very much alive and in our house. They (I assume there may be more than one) even chewed 3 balls off of the butterfly decorative pillow in EG's room that was on the floor. I tell you, this scares the mess out of me. I hate rodents. They gross me out. And furthermore, I wonder why in the heck they chose our house and the bedroom of all places for their escapades. There is not a stinch of food in these places; I suppose all the droppings I saw come from the D-CON I put out, which means they are having a hay-day munching away to their demise. Hopefully they will keel over outside of our house so the stink doesn't happen next week while we're on vacation!! I cannot for the life of me see how they can prance all over a 3 year old's bedroom in the middle of the night and she doesn't hear it. Jason reminded me that with the "wind tunnel" I have going in her room so she won't hear Jase crying (a floor fan and a humidifier) probably is the reason for that. :)


So I think I hear a moving noise in EG's closet yesterday morning about 10am. I proceed to get the biggest, heaviest golf club I can find and go rummaging in her closet taking everything out one at a time so I can whammy that sucker. We get to the end of the items and there is truly no mouse. I'm disappointed yet a little relieved that I didn't have to battle the mouse...it would not have been fun. The sit and spin went off one time and it alone made me yell! Emma Grace would not move off of the couch until I assured her that there was no mouse in her room. The cube trap is in my closet next to the d-con and has been since the night before with just a small piece of cheese smeared with peanut butter.


I tell you all of that background to say that this morning at 2:20am I hear Jase stirring, so I go potty as I usually do before the 30-40 min. long saga and I don't turn on the bathroom light (never do...somehow I function at night without a single light on), but I think I hear something in the bathroom with me. Shudder, shudder...I quickly head back to bed to wait for the real fussing indicating it's time to warm the bottle. At 3am I hear vigilant scratching; something's stuck and can't get out!!!! Could it be? YES, got another one in the cube!!!! I still think this one is the same mouse Jason dropped off at the pond and came back for round two! A picture is attached, so you see for yourself if you think they're "related".


This morning, Jason did put the mouse into a ziplock bag and bang the bag against the concrete.....DEAD as a doornail! Then he took it to work with him and put it in the dumpster in Columbia. No possible way for him to return this time. I hate to say it, but after I had put the trap out on the front porch this morning I really thought I heard more funny noises.....so the saga continues....I will persevere until all traces of mice are GONE.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Um.. Karen, I would have been at the Holiday Inn. Your mouse saga seriously creeps me out. I can't believe you picked up the trap with the mouse INSIDE. Oh lord, my heart would have stopped. Ew. Thank the lord for Lola (my cat). She has killed two mice. She ROCKS. If your mouse problem continues, I will let you borrow her!

Karen said...

I forgot to post that we did catch a second mouse, which Jason put in a ziploc bag and whammied upside the driveway, so he's a gonner. I told you heads were gonna roll. Then he took the bag all the way to Columbia to work with him and dumped it in the dumpster. We were gone all last week to the beach with traps set and all and no mice were caught and no more droppings were found, so I think we've gotten all of them! PTL!