Saturday, January 17, 2009

Learning through Experience

Last night we had some friends over for supper and fellowship. We played a round of Sequence (Daniel and Callie won the best 2 out of 3) and just generally chatted about anything under the sun. Yesterday I also got to spend time with my friend Tracy from Longleaf, which meant a great deal to me. Tracy is overcoming breast cancer, and she has so much to impart to me in even just going through the last 4 months (she found out in Sept.). I guess last night while spending time with such a young couple (well, Callie is young in age---Daniel is 30 I think, but they were recently engaged and will marry in June), I realized that there are so many things I want to impart to them. I would like to give them the knowlege and tools necessary for what they will experience in the years to come. But that is not possible. Only God can do that. You know how you want to tell your kids what to do and what not to do so they don't have to stumble and fall or get hurt in any way (emotionally, physically, etc.)...it was the same way with my wanting to tell them what to do and how to have such a wonderful marriage through what we have experienced. And truly it has been a WONDERFUL 8 1/2 years!

I am just so refreshed having spent time with a "new" couple and especially ones who will be living right here in Lebanon and being a part of our church (well, they are working out the details of that right now since Callie plays the piano at another local church but they know they cannot attend 2 different churches). It's good to know that God is working and moving right here in our little community. It's also good to rest in the knowlege that God will lead them through those experiences in life together and that I am not responsible for telling them everything they are to know. Yes, they will have marriage counseling up until they get married (usually 6 months I think, but theirs doesn't allow for 6 months), but even that won't teach them everything life will bring their way. They must do as we all do....learn through experience. Bathing it in prayer will be the best thing Jason and I can do and that they can do themselves. :) Funny how Tracy was imparting things to me without my really knowing it and how we were probably imparting things to Daniel and Callie last night, but I guess we don't truly know how it all will go until we walk a mile in someone else's shoes. May we have His faith, confidence, peace, and love through it all no matter what circumstances in life befall us.

No comments: