Saturday, January 3, 2009

Is it good to even make a New Year's Resolution?

O.K. We've all been there before and I really wonder how many people stick with what they say they are going to do all year? Not just a month or two months or even three months but all year? I guess if I HAVE to make a resolution for 2009 it would be that I need to get serious about making my eating habits ones for a LIFETIME. I need to have a body that does not fluctuate between 20-30 pounds difference. That's a very hard one to stick by on a limited budget first of all and secondly since I am a mom of two little ones who are not exactly the type who will go for the veggie or fruit above all else. Jase eats just whatever I give him...he loves all foods! There is nothing he will turn down so far. Emma Grace likes most of your main line veggies like corn, blackeyed peas, squash, peas, green beans, carrots (if fixed a certain way), fresh tomatoes, salad (ate three plates at Christmas dinner), etc. Not big on collards, asparagus, fresh celery and what I call "hard line/weird" veggies. Also not big on fruits unless they come in a cup from the store. I bought 2 apples over 2 weeks ago and they went rotten on the counter. She will eat fresh grapes, orange wedges in a cup, applesauce, peaches in a cup, etc.

So it will be difficult to buy groceries to please and feed my family. Then there's the "other issue"....giving up the easy chocolate here and there. It's sort of like comfort food. Call it my addiction, if you will. My secret (or not so secret) love affair with chocolate. A few Hershey kisses here or there, a Reese's miniature here or there. A piece of birthday cake here or there. Guess it just adds up and I need to give it up. May have to start counting points with my Weight Watcher's book again. Whew, that'll be hard!

So here I am rationalizing why I don't need a resolution. See why these things never work from the get-go?! Well, I'll at least vow to try and not eat seconds at any meal. No second bowl of Special K, no second helping at my MIL's, no eating what's left on Emma Grace's plate (moms are famous for that!). As Jason says, "It's called the pushback method...push back from the table." I guess the key is when you feel you are slightly satisfied...not FULL...not stuffed....just enough to nourish your body so you can keep on going. Lord, give me the strength to just keep on going and to be persistent....this is YOUR TEMPLE. Your Holy Spirit dwells in me and I need to understand how it grieves Him when I abuse my body and gorge it. That's not what He designed food for.

1 comment:

Tina Fussell said...

Oh honey. Your kids each a lot more in the way of veggies than mine do. 2 of mine will eat beans and corn. None will eat salad or anything that goes in a salad. And Chris isn't a whole lot better. :-) Thankfully, they all like fruit, generally.

I'm with you on the chocolate.