Saturday, November 1, 2008

Long overdue
















Yes, my new Gateway notebook computer took a turn for the worst and so I’m typing away on Jason’s laptop he brings home from work. I have to mail the laptop to Gateway to let them work on what they call the "motherboard" or the brains of the computer. I find that there have been so many things I should have blogged in the last month or so, but at 9:30pm when dinner is put away, meetings are over at church, and kids are bathed and in bed, I just don’t have enough time or the energy to write. So this one will be sort of long….bear with me!

First, Emma Grace has ears!! I mean, she’s listening ALL THE TIME. Don’t be fooled because she doesn’t look at you or appear to be listening. She may not even be in the same room. Rest assured, however, you will hear things you say repeated by an almost 4 year old at some point in the future!

Example #1 (this may be graphic for some of you): “Mommy, Jase has nuts in his hiney.” Do what? What is she talking about? Now I’ve seen carrots come out in the same form as they went in, but we’ve never fed him nuts!! So I pry a little more only to recall that she’s describing his boy parts, specifically his “sac”, which his daddy and I had a conversation about in the nursery a few days (maybe a week) ago when I asked Daddy to please be sure and wipe all the stinky off Jase's nuts. MY FAULT! Completely my fault. Guess I just never thought of it until having a boy and now that the messes are much larger with oatmeal and carrots on the menu! Then, it gets better, except that this time she uses the appropriate terminology….she says, “Why do you have to clean his penis?” She heard that while I was bathing Jase the other night. Well, thank the good Lord that I didn’t say something else for that body part! She was actually helping to scrub Jase in the baby bath that night, but I had no clue with the “nuts” conversation she was even around or taking it in.

Example #2: “Mommy, you shouldn’t talk at the table while you’re eating. Oh, I forgot, you’re finished eating….but I don’t tell you what to do because you’re my mommy and you’re older than me. You tell me what to do.” So I say, “Yes, Emma Grace I am your mommy. You’ve been listening to your daddy, huh?” Then she says, “Yeah, I get truth from Daddy!” I laughed so hard I nearly cried. I had to call Jason at work and tell him. Who said she wasn’t listening at the lunch/dinner table?!

Example #3: “Mommy, this card from Mimi has a jack-o-lantern on it. We don’t celebrate Halloween.” I affirmed her (we’ve had this discussion before about why we celebrate the Harvest, etc.) and then I said, “We’re Christians and we believe Jesus Christ died for our sins. That’s why we put 3 crosses on our pumpkin.” She starts singing, “And they’ll know we are Christians by our love, by our love. Yes, they’ll know we are Christians by our looooove.” We had just sung that song at church either last Sunday or the one before. I had no clue she was listening to the words of the song!

Teachable moments!!! And these are the best days of our lives!!! This is why the Lord has lead me to stay home with our children!! May He always give me the words to say (and the actions to go with it) to glorify Him alone! I’m sure I’ll think of other things I have forgotten to blog, but this serves as a good starting point.

No comments: