Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Mommy Moment & 3 Good Recipes

Yesterday morning around 7:45am when I went in to "get" Emma Grace up (she calls me until I come snuggle in the bed with her and then she gets up), she was telling me that her doll "Laura" (the one she sleeps with) was sick last night and threw up for two hours! Oh the drama from this almost 4 year old! I asked her was she going to be a doctor when she grows up and she said no. So I asked her if maybe she was going to be nurse to help sick children and she said no. Then I said, "Well, what do you want to be?" She said, "I want to be a MOMMY!" I asked her why and she said, "Because I love YOU and you take care of your children!" I was in awe and complete shock.

Since Jason and I had a discussion about my example and daily witness to the children being at home with them all the time, it has really set in what he said about "If being a mommy is not fun for you then what makes you think your children will see that and want to be a mommy or daddy when they grow up?" Surely it's a noble calling and honestly the highest calling any woman can take on, but I had never thought about leaving a legacy where my daughter (especially) would want, crave, seek to stay at home with her children and seek out a husband who would want her to do the same. Or that my son would one day see that as a thing to value and want his future wife to be a stay-at-home mom. I know it's far down the road, but the seeds are being sown now and the foundation is being layed (or is that laid, Becky?).

Anyway, I pray that each day I will remember, write it on the forefront of my head, just how important my witness and attitude are for these children. :)

And now, I have 3 recipes that I have used lately and would recommend to anyone and everyone, so I'll post them below for all who would like to print or copy them. They are all borrowed from friends...none are my own creation!

Pine Bark:
1 to 2 secions of 1 box of saltine crackers
2 sticks of butter
1 cup brown sugar
1-12oz. package of semi-sweet chocolate morsels

Line a 12X16 cookie sheet (the kind with a lip around it) with aluminum foil.

Cover with one layer of crackers, placed side by side. Melt butter and brown sugar together in a pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes then spread mixture over the crackers. Bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes (the crackers will look real bubbly). Remove from oven and spread the chocolate chips over the top. Spread the chocolate as it melts. Refrigerate until hard; break apart and store in refrigerator in an airtight container.



Buffalo Chicken Dip:
1-8oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup ranch or blue cheese salad dressing
1/2 cup Jack's Buffalo wing sauce

Microwave until smooth. Stir in: 1/2 cup shredded (sharp, colby, mozzerella) and
1 can chunk chicken (drained)

Put in baking dish and bake @ 350 for about 20 min. or until bubbly. Serve with tortilla chips.


Crock Pot Pizza
This is so yummy and so easy!! This recipe makes A LOT, so be prepared to have leftovers (or maybe invite some friends over)!

Ingredients:
12 ounces egg noodles, cooked according to package directions and drained
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onions
2 (14 oz) jars pizza sauce OR 1 large jar spaghetti sauce
3.5 ounces turkey or beef pepperoni
3 cups (12 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
3 cups (12 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese

In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion until done. Drain. Stir in pizza sauce and pepperoni. Grease crock pot. Spread 1/2 of meat sauce on the bottom. Cover with a layer of noodles, then a layer of cheeses. Repeat layers twice. Cover and cook on low heat for 3-4 hours or until heated through and cheeses are melted. Serve with a tossed salad and bread.

1 comment:

Tina Fussell said...

Karen, such a good reminder. Reminds me of that song that says, "Lord, I want to be just like you because he wants to be just like me."