Sunday, August 2, 2009

Hot Topic: Couponing

Today's hot topic (at least for frugal mothers) seems to be couponing and using those coupons in conjunction with sales ads at grocery stores and drug stores. I'm ALL for saving money...in fact, my husband will tell you he is not allowed to go grocery shopping. I may ask him to pick up a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread if we're at the very end, but even in that I am VERY SPECIFIC about what kind of bread or milk. He is not a bargain shopper...doesn't like the challenge. Me, on the other hand, I'm a sucker for a good deal! Give me 50% off and I'm game. I love looking for a good deal, and the fact that websites like www.southernsavers.com and www.thethriftymama.com and www.moneysavingmom.com do all the leg work for you is just WONDERFUL! Now, I don't pay others money to give me the coupons I need as in the Grocery Game (I think it's like $5 or something like that), but I'm pretty advanced in my cutting coupons, filing them in my system, and checking those websites before I go to the store to make sure I'm matching super duper coupons with super duper sales.

My problem with the whole thing is the idea is to stockpile a bunch of items so that you have them when needed. This is so you don't have to go out and buy papertowels or whatever the needed item is at that time at regular price. Yes, that's a bad idea...that's how my hubby operates and it doesn't save us A.N.Y. money. Now, I know we'll eventually use papertowels and need more for a long, LONG time to come (assuming we live past today...which by the way isn't for certain), but why does it seem that some people are buying items they don't normally use just for the sake of having it free or at a reduced cost. I mean, I saw a blog the other day where the person had written how she had gotten like 3 shampoos and 3 deodorants for FREE at her local CVS all by using coupons along with sales ads and then accumulating ECB (extra care bucks) to pay for the remaining deodorants and shampoos. It was a remarkable plan and I applaud her for figuring all that out. I mean, it really takes planning and rationalization to think that whole process through. That sounded like a fabulous idea and one I should head over to CVS to take advantage of.

Problem is, I don't use P*rt shampoo or D*gree deodorant or whatever kind was in her "deal". It would do me no good to stockpile these things since NO ONE in my household uses these things. We are generally a pretty standard, simple family, and we don't buy what I call frivolous things....things that are not completely essential. Like mouthwash, poptarts, room deodorizer, scented Gl*de candles, F*sion razors, P*lsar toothbrushes, sparkly toothpaste for kids, etc. Who really needs these things? I've had no cavities since I was 2 or 3 and I have not missed out in not having mouthwash.

Now, we do buy another kind of deodorant and another kind of razor and another kind of manual toothbrush, but we do not need to have all the name brand's latest and greatest in order to be clean, well-groomed people. Generic 2-ply toilet paper and generic toothbrushes equivalent to Or*l B will be just fine. My cheap razor works fine, too. My hair is specific to one type of shampoo (P*ntene if you must know), so I do cut coupons for that anytime I see one and I would LOVE to have a free deal at CVS on that. I guess some people just like P*rt shampoo and others have to have their candles to make their house smell good, but I plain old refuse to start buying things and "working deals" just to get all that junk stockpiled that I may NEVER use. I find the most helpful part of those websites with great deals is the food section where you can get peanut butter for FREE and cereal for $.14 a box. That's what I'm talking about!!! I know we'll use those things.

Well, I'll shut my blogger trap for now and go finish finding my great deal on Eb*y for homeschool curriculum for our 4 year old's preschool this year! See, I told you I'm a sucker for a great deal!

No comments: